Saturday, July 23, 2011


Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Write a Poem on "Where I'm From"

http://networkedblogs.com/kMbQZ...
Hey there, Genea-Nauts -- It's Saturday Night, and time for more Genealogy Fun!!
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:
1)  Write a poem about "Where I'm From" using the template found at the websitehttp://www.swva.net/fred1st/wif.htm
2)  Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Google Plus or Facebook note.
Thank you to Kevin Huigens of the Family History Nuggets blog for the SNGF suggestion!
WHERE I'M FROM 

I am from poor North and East Texas dirt farmers and laborers of green beans, peanuts and watermelon.

I am from the small early 40s brick home of a Methodist minister in NE Texas with his wife and a milking cow in the back that was shared with the Baptist minister’s family.

I am from the rolling hills and pine tree forests of East Texas where trees cast shadows on the highways and spread their branches to meet each other and where the crepe myrtles bloomed along the sides.

I am from a religious family and a family that taught honesty and respect from my dad Kermit and my mom Murriel and from our grandparents.

I am from the habit of industriousness along with the contrasting habit of procrastination.

I am from always being taught to say, “Yes, Sir”, Yes, Ma’am” and “Please” and “Thank you”.

I am from the United Methodist Church, beginning by being a “preacher’s kid”,  being active in youth groups and choirs, graduating from a United Methodist University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Church Music and directing quite a few United Methodist Church choirs. My influence, if there is any, is that my two daughters’ families are United Methodist and are active in their local congregations with children’s’ and youth activities, singing in the choirs, playing bells, and playing in the orchestra.

I am from Linden, Cass County, Texas. My dad’s parents were from Denison, Grayson County, Texas and my mom’s parents were from Cleveland, Liberty County, Texas. Through the years my mom and her mom prepared many meals for our family and extended families that included mostly home cooked meals, much of it coming from each of their gardens.  

I am from the experiences from the time I learned to drive of the worst accident that took place in our home driveway as I hit my dad’s car that I did not see when I was backing,  the wonderful times I recall when our family went driving on Sunday afternoons wherever we lived to see the traffic at the airports or to watch the seashore, and the gatherings of all of our aunts, uncles, and cousins at our grandparents’ home where I remember running around in the yard, gathering eggs, shelling beans, being carted around in the wheelbarrow by my granddad,  smelling homemade biscuits, sleeping on a pallet by the open front door when so many relatives showed up, and listening to the “grownups” sitting outside in the rope bottom straight chairs in the cooler air discussing Texas politics or telling jokes.

I am from evidence found in private family albums, newspaper archives located on the Internet, documents and certificates. My parents’ evidence is found in private family and relatives' photo albums, U.S. Census records, Athens, Texas Historical Society and Galveston, Texas vertical file records, and college yearbook records.

Linda Sue Hollingsworth Littlejohn Robbins

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm from that "the habit of industriousness along with the contrasting habit of procrastination." too!

    ReplyDelete

Please write constructive or positive comments about this blog web site.